D.C. Rent Control
Understanding the Rental landscape
Navigating the rental landscape in Washington D.C. often proves downright confusing for tenants. Rent control was first enacted in the District in 1975, and current rent control policies are governed by the Rental Housing Act of 1985. The rent control law limits the amount landlords can charge in annual rent increases to inflation plus 2%. Generally speaking, the law applies to buildings constructed prior to 1975 with at least five units.
Several exceptions apply for landlords who would otherwise be bound by strict rent control requirements.
The resources below provide additional learning opportunities for those interested in learning more about rent control in Washington D.C.:
- Rental Housing Commission Certification and Notice of Rent Adjustment of General Applicability
- Certificate of Notice to RAD of Adjustments in Rent Charged
- Notice of Increase in Rent Charged
- Disclosure of Basis of Rent Charged
- Disclosure Form (prospective tenants and upon written request of existing tenants)
D.C. Department of Housing and Community
The forms below are provided by the D.C. Department of Housing and Community for property management providers seeking rent control exemption:
- Rent Control Fact Sheet
- Tenant’s Notice to Housing Provider of Elderly or Disabled Status
- Tenant’s Notice to Housing Provider of Elderly of Disabled Status (Spanish)
A PROVEN INDUSTRY LEADER
Oculus has been a fantastic partner managing Kensington Shopping Center. Daily operations are flawless. While partnering with Oculus, NOI has improved resulting in better than expected value creation. It is a comfort to know the professional Oculus team is looking out for my property.
Neil Burka - Harsam Properties LP
An investor must understand and independently confirm all aspects of an investment- good and bad- before investing. I will continue to rely on Oculus Realty because David’s team has demonstrated a better understanding of this nuanced market than anyone else I’ve encountered.
Brad Gilchrist - Gilchrist Investments
take the next step with oculus realty
To discuss your real estate and property management needs, fill out the form or give us a call.